Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Authors Are My Rockstars: Author Events 2013-14 Part 4


Part 1 Stephanie Meyer, Kami Garcia, Lauren Oliver
Part 2 Maggie Stiefvater, Elizabeth Wein, Rainbow Rowell
Part 3 Veronica Roth, Patrick Ness

September 23 2013

This had to be the most embarrassing signing I've ever been to. I don't know what's wrong with me most of the time. It's like my mind says: NOOOOO DON'T DO THAT and my mouth says: I JUST DID. WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT.

I swear that when I'm doing embarrassing things, I know what a bad idea it is but I either 1. want to see what's going to happen or 2. am too stupid to stop myself. 



So now you're wondering what I did that was so embarrassing. As I've said before, I make it so I am at the front of the line for signings. This time was no different. I hopped up and got to be the first person in line. Now, I want to be in the beginning of the line but not the first person so I can have a little time to think. I tried to get another lady to go in front of me but she wouldn't budge. 


So I went first. I only have one book of Holly's and haven't really fallen in love with her style so I didn't buy anymore. Anyway, I got my book signed and asked for a picture. The woman behind me said she would take it. I am crazy about pictures with authors. I would almost rather get a picture with them than a signature. 

This is the first picture:


It was ok but I didn't really like it so I asked for another.


This was worse. Instead of saying the first was ok, my mind said: NOOOOO. Be awkward in front of this line of people and ask for another. So I did. Holly signed the woman who took my picture's book before taking a third picture with me. It was unbearably embarrassing to stand there waiting. Then the woman said she shouldn't do the next picture since she was obviously bad at it and walked away. The girl behind me said she would take it. 

Third try:


Now I love this picture but God do I wish I had been normal and not asked for it. I can't even describe the shame I had when I walked out of the room and thought about what I did. I apologized to Holly before I left like four times, saying that I just wanted a nice one because I probably would never get to meet her again. She said it was ok and she was nice about it  but she was probably thinking: WHAT A WEIRDO. 

And I am. A weirdo. Le sigh. 

November 11 2013

James Dashner was an interesting character. He started his talk by saying he had nothing planned to say. He might have matched me in awkwardness.


Mostly he talked to a bunch of teenagers in the back who kept yelling things. Then there was the awkward silences. I have to say, it made me feel better about myself. 


January 29 2014

My very first signing of 2014! Now, I never read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children but, like I said before, I am kind of obsessed with Tahereh Mafi and wanted to see what her husband was like. 


His story about how he got his book deal was very interesting. I'm surprised his books got as popular as they did with such an nontraditional publisher. I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about so I bought the book and got it signed. 


Now, I was there an hour early so I bought a grande coffee at Starbucks. BAD IDEA MARKELLA. By the time the signing started, I had to pee sooooo bad. I got my picture with Ransom then practically sprinted to the bathroom. 


In the stall, I paused for a moment. Where was the book?!? I finished up and ran out. Luckily, a bookstore staff held it for me as I left it with Ransom. Close call there. 

Next Time:

Stephanie Perkins, Megan Shepherd, Victoria Schwab, Ellen Oh, and Jessica Spotswood

Marissa Meyer

Then:

Dark Days Tour: Tahereh Mafi, Veronica Rossi, Sophie Jordan, and Kiersten White